Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Here I am

I’ve been neglecting this page for a while. So what’s going on? The garden continues to grow. I’ve picked about 3 dozen Roma tomatoes and one Century, but none of the other regular tomatoes are ripening yet. I have lots of fruit, but they are all staying green. Oh well. Oh and several of them have grown out of the tops of the 5 foot cages I made. I’m making cage extensions. My first batch of corn has started to go to tassel and is about 8 feet tall. I’m curious how it might turn out, but two days ago a big wind storm blew half of my second batch of corn over. I had to get out and tie it up like I did the first batch. Note for next year, I live on a hill and must tie my corn up after it gets over 2 feet tall. I’ve been picking squash and zucchini and giving them away. I think the plants may give out in another few weeks. One has traveled almost 3 feet it has grown so much. My bell peppers have finally started to put out a lot, but I’ve only picked one. I have to tie all of the peppers up this evening. I’ve probably picked 2 dozen cucumbers, several around 14 inches long. I’m going to have to change the way I plant them next year, because they overran my cages already. I also may plant a few of the shorter varieties. And Saturday I picked okra for the first time. I planted too much. I’ve only harvested from 35% of the plants, and I estimate I’ll be getting over a gallon of okra each day or two when all the rows start producing. I’m not sure I’m going to have enough time to pick it, much less prepare it for freezing. Oh yeah, my Godparents sent me their stand up freezer. So now I have a place to put extra produce. And last week I made a pizza. I put some of my Ichiban eggplant, roasted Roma tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives, and mozzarella on it. It was pretty darned good if you ask me. I have a few changes I might make for nest time, but overall it was good for my first attempt at a pizza without meat on it. I may make some pictures later to put up. It all depends on how much okra I have to pick.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home