Lately, No Donkeys

Monday, March 24, 2008

The First Stone is Cast

Well after much fanfare, gnashing of teeth, and taunts from friends I finally started the Harry Potter series. I purchased the entire set on sale after Christmas. It made each book about $16, which was a pretty decent price at the time. Anyway I finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone after only a few days. I probably could have read it in one, but I don’t read that fast and had other things to do. It was asked if I was going to read them all together, but I plan on continuing my two fiction one nonfiction pattern for the time being. So on with the rambling.


This is I believe the shortest of the books. Shoot I’m not even going to go into the story itself. Most of you are familiar with it aready. You can tell somewhat that they made some wording changes to move the book from Britain to the US. Frankly it’s probably the largest font I’ve read in a while. And yes it is a good children’s book, though it is a bit darker than the movie version. I also understand the changes they made for the movie. I usually don’t have as big of a problem with a book and movie being different, and some of my friends do. I just want them both to be good. Being different media means that changes have to take place to make the story flow and look right.


In short, I liked it. It was fun and a nice break. It was well written and engaging for a book aimed mostly at young people. I’m curious to see how the style evolves as the characters get older and their views of the world become more complex. I hope the writing style and plots become more complex as well. It would be interesting to see it grow like the human psyche and intellectual capability evolves through those formative years. And no spoilers please.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Well well well. So who's left now, Taemon? Has A read it? What about Ayzair? She'll have to start reading them eventually if she hasn't.

    Anyway, let me say, and I may be slightly biased but I don't think irredeemably so, that what you are looking forward to in that last paragraph, with the story, style, and complexity changing as the characters age and evolve, is exactly why the series is so highly regarded by critics and so well-loved by fans. As I look at it now I see each book as a subplot (with subplots) in the overarching plot that is the whole series. I think by book 3 you'll start to see what I'm talking about.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/02/2008 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home