Lately, No Donkeys

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Literary Consolidation 1-10

Or the Reader’s Digest Condensed Edition. The page length was getting pretty long with all the previously read books down there, so rather than remove them I decided to shift the oldest ten into post. I’ll give the picture as a link to where it can be purchased, in exchange for using the picture, a little bit about each book, and a link to my original take on the book.

A History of Knowledge by Charles Van Doren10.

Charles Van Doren last out a lot of big picture changes to what society has seen as knowledge and taken for granted. This is an excellent book to read along with other big picture books like Guns Germs, and Steel below.

My Take


The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking9.

I really like the two Stephen Hawking books I have read. In this book, he describes some of the most difficult theories of physics in ways most people can understand. Take back scientific understanding America.
My Take


If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell8.

Bruce Campbell, self proclaimed “Working Stiff,” is one of my favorite actors, primarily because he seems to be such a great guy. This book is hilarious and is a must read for anyone thinking about an acting career.

My Take


One Knight Only by Peter David7.

This is the second of the return of Arthur books after Knight Life below. Peter David continues Arthur’s adventures in this well written and entertaining sequel.


My Take


Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis6.

This Pulitzer Prize winning book covers a few events in the lives of the Founding Fathers of the United States in a ways that makes them seem more human and more understandable than any other book I’ve read.

My Take


Sentry Peak by Harry Turtledove5.

Harry Turtledove, the master of alternate history, constructs an exciting tale of fantasy around a rather strange yet familiar civil war.



My Take


How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill4.

This is the first in Thomas Cahill’s hinges of History series. His love of the history of the Irish people is heartwarming.



My Take


Knight Life by Peter David3.

This fun little book is about King Arthur returning to modern day New York and running for mayor. Peter David is always entertaining in my book.



My Take


Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond2.

This wonderful Pulitzer Prize winning book gives an overview of the environmental, knowledge, and biological pressures and gifts that lead to the current state of the modern world. For “Big Picture” books this is one of the best.

My Take


Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen1.

It’s an interesting nonfiction book that covers a few events in history that have a tendency to be ignored or misrepresented in textbooks and history education in most schools.


My Take

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home