Lately, No Donkeys

Monday, May 21, 2007

Whatever my thumb has,...

it's turning the rest of me pink and brown. That's right it's time for another episode of "What You Got Growin' On?" To keep the front page clutter to a minimum I'll post it after my rambling link.

I've been busy in the garden, yard, and house this weekend. I have the pink and browning skin to prove it. I haven't had this much sun in years. After another month, people at work might start confusing me with Dexter. "snort snort" Well I haven't been working in the house as much as I'd like. I have next Monday off for Memorial Day, so maybe I can get some cleaning done. Eh. I'll get to it. Anyway, garden stuff is growing pretty well. The corn is coming along. The okra is getting there, but a couple of cold days stunted it. Now that it's warm again I'm watering the first batch of okra to get it going again. I've already planted the second batch of corn and okra i soaked the seeds for a few hours before planting and dadblamit if they didn't germinate a couple days faster than the first batch. Here's my oldest corn.


This is a shot of general tomatoes. They are growing pretty good, and I've been busy tying them up in the cages. They seem to like it here. The holes in that mesh are 6" square, for scale.


This is a batch of my Romas. I've got about 3 clusters like this on my plants with more clusters forming. I'm gonna be up to my neck in tomatoes.


This is in fact the first producer in my garden. The friggin cayenne pepper plants started producing not too long after I got them in the ground. I think I'm gonna lose one plant, and one has been kinda wimpy. The other two both look like this. they are making peppers like no one's business. This one has at least 8 peppers on it and it's only about 12 inches tall.


This is one of my largest yellow squash plants. I was worried because after I planted them they started yellowing some. I thought I might be watering them too much, so I cut back and they seem to be doing much better. If you look down inside you can see the very first squash growing. There is a smaller one on this plant and at least two more on other plants. Time to start looking for recipes. The zucchinis seem to be coming right on the heels of the squash, as always.


Last year when i bought the house the owners hadn't done anything with the garden that year. I did find 2 cantaloupe plants growing out there though. They made several fruit, but the overhanging grass prevented them from making a lot of sugar. They didn't taste that good. so I left them and didn't think anything about it. I plowed the garden and began planting. After a heavy rain a couple weeks ago I came out to a surprise. I have dozens of "volunteer," as my neighnor calls them, cantaloupes growing up and down the garden. I haven't decided what to do with them yet, so I'm just leaving them.


Next time I'll put a couple of other plants pictures up.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home