Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Here Thar be Bloodthirsty Monsters

Well I had a pretty uneventful and enjoyable weekend this weekend. Each year we have to sign up for an Optional Holiday at work. I signed up for Memorial Day to offset something. Due to a State mandate we have to have MLK Jr. Day off. Well that ignored that, as an institute of higher education we don’t take many normal holidays, since they would reduce class time. That means we get MLK Day, but we don’t get President’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, or Veterans Day. I think it seems a little odd. Of course I think MLK probably would have preferred we celebrated Human Rights Day instead, but I digress. That means I had a 3 day weekend lined up. Work had been a little slower than expected so I asked and received Friday off. That hooked me up with a 4 day weekend. That allowed me to sit around a bit and get some things done at the house.


Friday my brother and I took advantage of being off work; he recently quit his crappy job along with 6 other people this month; and we went to see “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End.” RT didn’t give the movie a great meta-review, but I don’t pay them that much attention. This is a continuation of the second movie essentially, and it basically has the same feel of that movie. It’s not as good as the first one, but if you enjoyed the second one then you should like this one. I saw it at a matinee, which I recommend.


Then Sunday I went to see “28 Weeks Later.” I saw the original on DVD at the house, and I was anxious about seeing this one in the theater. I don’t normally go see scary or frightening movies. I just usually don’t enjoy them much, and sometimes the camera movements on the big screen give me motion sickness. This one was ok though. It has a lot of the look of the original, which I like. And I would say it’s close to the original in quality viewing, but it kind of grinds down a little in the last part. The really scary part is watching people make bad decisions. You sit there thinking “Shoot It. SHOOT IT!!” or “Don’t do that!” I say think. I don’t yell at the screen. What they really needed was Guy from “Galaxy Quest” to grab one of them and say, “Did any of you ever watch the show?” Well have any of you ever watched a horror movie?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home