Lately, No Donkeys

Sunday, April 29, 2007

A plantin' I did go

Well this week I've been spending a great deal of time working in the garden. In fact several last weekend I spent most of Saturday in there. I finished tilling it on Monday after work. I spent Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from about 6 to 8:30 or later in there planting. I was watering by moon light on more than one occasion. Anyway, I thought I'd put up some pics of all my labors up after the rambling link.

This is a picture from the back of the garden. You can see the asparagus ferns on the left side. You also get a good view of the depth of the garden. It's 25' by 70'. It took me almost 3 gallons of gas to till it. On the bottom left you can just see a couple of the pine logs that were around the garden. I pulled most of them up, because they made t really tough to get the tiller through the garden.


This is a pic of the last 4 rows in the garden. These rows host 4 zucchini, 4 yellow squash, 4 cayenne peppers, 4 green bell peppers, and 4 Brandywine (Heirloom variety) tomatoes. I'm waiting to see how those go.


These are the next 4 rows forward. This has 4 Roma tomatoes, 4 Better Boy tomatoes, 2 Sweet 100 tomatoes, a tomato my dad sent me without telling me what it was, 4 Ichiban eggplants on the far side,4 cucumbers, 3 Banana peppers (sweet), two other sproutlings that Dad didn't know what they were, and some Blue Lake Bush Bean seeds. You can see the asparagus ferns on the far left and the bales of pine needles I'm going to put around the plants to help slow water evaporation. I'm not going to show the other 8 rows; yeah, there are 16 total. Those are going to be 4 rows of corn and 4 rows of okra. I'm staggering the planting with planting half a week or so apart. It spreads out the corn harvest a little. I have so much stuff because 1 I have space and 2 I got this stuff from a place in Union. The guy runs his own greenhouse and sells the plants for like $2 a pack of 4. I went a little overboard.


This is one of the grape vines my Dad sent to me. I think this is the muscidine grape, but I can't remember for sure. He's going to root a few more of the scuppernong grape to bring over. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to start harvesting.


The horticulture students were having a plant sale last week. I usually stop by and see what they have. It's a good place for Mother's day presents. Anyway, they had some spearmint and peppermint on sale for like $1.25 a container. I decided to get one of each. I have space, and mint is usually a plant it and forget it kind of thing. This is the spearmint.


And of course, this is the pepermint.


I'll probably post more stuff as the garden grows or dies. While I was planting Saturday a rabbit came running up and skidded to a halt about 12 feet from me. We stared at each other for a while and then I made a foot stomp to get him to run off. I hope he doesn't eat too much.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home