Lately, No Donkeys

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Free time

It's kind of a time sink having a house with a yard to care for, but I'm gonna try. I've got family coming up for the weekend that might be able to help with some of the yard stuff. Plus the Botanical Garden sale is this weekend. Of course I had to make more pictures. They would have been up earlier, but blogger.com seemed to be having a problem with the upload. The pics are after the rambling link.


This is picture of the clematis after it really started blooming . It was beautiful.


Then we had several days of high gusting wind that blew the whole thing down. Oh well. ime to start training it again.


The iris at the end of the driveway, and all over the yard actually, have started blooming pretty nicely. I've got a lot of blue.

But I also have some white in the back and yellow by the kitchen door. I have some dark purple onnes coming in as well. I just wish they weren't quite so scattered. I might have to consider moving them int he coming year.


In a bed far from the house I have a nice red hot poker coming in. It's making quite a show of it. I just wish the pines around it didn't look quite so bad.


It's odd, but I was taking these pictures a little after a friend of mine made a post about asparagus. Turns out I have a little patch of it in my garden. The problem is that it isn't in a particularly good place. I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether I want it to stay there. you can see I started tilling the garden. the soil is actually better than I expected. I put 160 lbs of dolomitic lime on it first. We have fairly acidic soil around here. I'm going to till the rest this week.


I didn't harvest anything this year cause I wasn't sure about how long it had been there, plus it all came in at a spread. So i could have had a sprig every 4 days or so. plus I wasn't sure how long it had been there.


The sprouts look kind of nice though. I'm going to investigate the feasibility of moving them. I'm pretty sure I can dig up the batch without disturbing the roots a lot. Plus it would give me a chance to build up the soil I would put move it to a little more.


I'll probably post more stuff later. I have plants and seeds for the garden already,and I have something special that i need to plant. I think Smitty will be interested in that as well.


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Of course Smitty's interested. How funny that just as Smittygirl and I are thinking about buying asparagus roots, you have some growing wild in your yard. Pretty cool, that.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/20/2007 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home