Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Frost on the everything

So this past weekend saw the temperature drop quite a bit for Easter. We joked at Church that Easter was colder than Christmas. Some of the ladies said they couldn't wear their Christmas finery because it was too warm, and they couldn't wear their Easter duds because it was too cold. What a topsy turvy world we live in. Because the temp dropped into the 20s we now have reports that the peach and apple crops in SC this year have all bit the dust, or frost. The strawberries depend on how well the covers worked. I was anxious to get home and see what the cold had destroyed in my yard. Luckily I had taken a few pictures before I left. So in the ramble you get to see some before and after pics. So follow the link.



This is a pic of the absolutely gorgeous azaleas between the driveway and the house. They were the most amazing red, and covered in blooms.


The frost killed all the exposed blossoms on the top of the plants. At least I got a pic of them.


My dad gave me a maple tree he grew at home. It is a sibling of a maple from my grandfather's yard. I think it is a Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum Atropurpureum) or one of the improved varieties. I planted it near the driveway over a month back and it started coming out a week ago.


It didn't fair so well. Ordinarily I wouldn't be too worried about a tree, but it's recent transplantation causes a little trepidation.


This is a picture of my bifurcated maple growing in the front yard. It was like this when I moved in. It is a filigree (lace leaf) red Japanese maple that I think was grafted to a regular maple root stock. It seems that at some point the root stock sprouted and grew much faster than the filigree, as one would expect. Frankly I like the contrast, and I'm going to use it to my advantage. I'm going let the green maple pump energy into the root system, but in the late winter I will trim it back so that energy is sent to the filigree. Hopefully I can keep them scaled together.


Well the filigree half took a big hit, but the green half is fine. I hadn't foreseen this, but the green half should go a long way to helping pump energy into the filigree to help it recover. I hope.


Luckily it looks like the painted maple I bought in the Fall at the SC Botanical Garden Plant Sale is none the worse for wear. I'm gonna go back this year.


The driveway flower bed started looking really good. Too bad that by the time I got my camera back the sparse stands of tulips were fading. The dianthus in the foreground are doing really well, even after the frost.


The flox however did not fair so well. Last Saturday you couldn't see anything but flowers. Oh well. It'll come back.


Surprising me was the clematis that showed no signs of any damage whatsoever. It's starting to hit a stride in blooming. I've got to try to keep it on the fence rails.


Also the Iris in the yard and the end of the driveway came through without any damage.


This is the red dogwood in the back yard. It's trimmed kind of funny, but the petals came out a pretty dark red on the edges. It got pinched by the frost too.


These two dogwoods are on the other end of the yard from the driveway. I wasn't at home at the right time to get the light right on this picture, so it doesn't do them justice. They were so white you couldn't look at them in direct sunlight. This picture is actually mostly in the shade of some pine trees.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home