Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Three for some money

I’ve been meaning to write something up for a while, but I’ve been busy and lazy. Well last weekend and the weekend before I went to see a few movies. Let me tell you about them.


First I went to see “Astronaut Farmer.” It got some pretty good reviews. It’s a pretty good movie with both realistic and unrealistic properties. Thorton always has a way of playing a likable character that’s just a little off center. I found one part in particular jolting enough to jar me out of the smoothness of the experience. You’ll probably notice it. I kept feeling that it had to be a dream. Then when I realized it wasn’t I thought, “That wouldn’t happen.” Anyway, it’s an entertaining story and would make a good rental.


Then I went to see “Black Snake Moan.” That right there was an interesting movie. What is it with Samuel L. Jackson and movies with Snake in the title? Anyway, I had a good time watching this one. I don’t know what happened to Christina Ricci, but she had skank down pat. Plus you get to see her stomach all the time, and her boobs quite a few. It had some pretty funny parts, and would make a good drinking movie for renting.


Finally I went to see “300” with my brother. He saw it in Atlanta at the IMAX a few days before- the bastard. That’s just a entertaining movie right there. It should fill most of the action that woul would require of a movie. I really liked the stylized visuals of the movie. The almost colorized sepia tone nature that uses color to emphasize certain things was lovely. The red of the Spartan cloaks really popped. The movie is an adaptation of the Battle of Thermopylae, with poetic license of course. You can also tell that this movie is from the work of Frank Miller, and its style reminds one of Sin City. That means you will see quite a bit of skin as well. Some is female, but most belongs to the Spartan soldiers. Personally I didn’t find the leather Speedos that distracting, but I did find a few things disturbing. Xerxes, the man that would be a god, creeped me out quite a bit. My brother said he knew the Greeks were supposed to be a little short, but the “tranny” was just too tall. I about fell in the floor, cause I was thinking the same thing. He’s too tall, too touchy feely, and he talks like a Goa’uld. It just weirded me out. I was actually surprised at the tameness of the violence and blood, remembering Sin City. But I recommend it to anyone that likes over the top stylized action.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home