Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Weekend Fun

Well what's been going on? This past weekend a friend of mine came up from Atlanta with his girlfriend and their two dogs. The intent was to have a good time playing with the Wii he brought and cutting down a tree in my yard. Well I must say the Wii is a compelling device. It may have to be added to future purchases or gift requests. We played some Wii Sports, bowling, tennis, and boxing, and we played Raving Rabbids. This is probably some of the most fun I've had with a new system before, but Nintendo has always provided good game play for me. I could go on and on about it, but there were other things that happened as well. On to the tree killing.

As I've stated before, I had several sweetgum trees in my back yard. The trees look nice in the fall, but they produce so many of the dadblamed gumballs it's annoying and dangerous to walk on. So, I've been on a campaign to remove the trees from all trafficked areas of the yard. That entailed cutting down 3 small and one large tree previously; breaking my friend's chainsaw in the process. Luckily he had a warranty on it. This time we decided to cut down the largest of the sweetgums. I figured it would miss the house by several feet is we dropped it where it wanted to go. Below is a picture of where we dropped it. Stupid me didn't think about documenting the cutting process.


On the far right is the stump and the far left the topmost branches. It was a good 8+ feet from the house, so that wasn't a problem. This picture is looking down the length of where we dropped it.


You can see the pile of branches and the nice regular piles of sawdust where we cut the trunk up.


This was one of the sources of fuel we used to cut the tree down. I believe in using alternate fuels like ethanol. Due to the warm weather, the sap was rising earlier than I anticipated, so the entire tree was filled with water. Jennifer threw some shavings at her dog for play, and the dog thought they tasted so good she would start eating them. I guess the sugar from the roots made the shavings sweet. I didn't test that theory though. You can just make out some of the growth rings on the log, and they are huge. This thing must have jumped up fast.


That gives you an idea of the stump size. We hinged that thing and it went exactly where we told it to. It was fantastic, and the chainsaws worked wonderfully. Now I have to sharpen my chain. We even got to prepare some old tree leavings.


This pile was from when I had a couple of pines cut down. They were dead or dying. The tree guy piled the pieces in the back. I had burnt some of them, but I hadn't gotten the entire pile ready for ashification. Ty helped me with that one, and now they are ready to go.


I ringed the trunk sections so that they could dry out and provide a ring in which to begin burning the branches and remnants. I would have started this weekend, but events such as rain conspired against it. Maybe I'll post pictures of burning. Hmmm.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home