Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

You want a what for Christmas?

Well I’m waiting for my cake to cool, so it sounds like a good time to talk about some more food. A cake to cool! And what’s with that title and food? Well I’ll ramble on about the topic.

Well, like I said before, I like food. That means if I want food I have to buy it pre-made or make it myself. Therefore I learned to cook. I’m not going to say I’m a chef, because I’m not. A friend of mine is much closer to being a chef. I just enjoy cooking. My favorite things to fix are desserts, and why shouldn’t they be.


I’m waiting here now because work is having a Holiday (Thanksgiving) luncheon. Everybody brings something, and everybody eats. It’s actually pretty interesting. I work with tech people, and it makes for an interesting array of food.


I know what you are thinking, but computer people, especially guys, seem to spend a certain portion of their lives fixing their own meals. In fact now, the guys may spend all of their lives fixing meals, even after they get married. I’m impressed at the shift of cooking knowledge and skill taking place from women to men. I studied at the elbow of my mother, godmother, and godsister. I put it to use regularly.


Oop. Time to turn the cake out of the pan.


Woo Hoo. It came out I one piece.


Anyway, I’m making two things, probably because I like to show off a bit. I just turned a pear cake out of my bunt pan. It needs to cool and tomorrow morning I will put the glaze on it. In the fridge I have a Chocolate Damnation. It’s basically a 13 x9 sheet brownie sitting on a bed of a simple chocolate mousse type layer. Tomorrow I have to make the toping.


So what’s with the title? Well I used my Ultrapower Kitchenaid stand mixer to make both desserts. I asked for that 2 Christmases ago. I was questioned as to why I wanted it, but I will tell you. If you do any kind of baking, a stand mixer will make the job so much easier and enjoyable that it isn’t even funny.


I decided on the Kitchenaid stand mixer after I bought one of their blenders for $80. I got the black version. Why did I buy an $80 blender? Because I burnt up the motors on 2 $40 ones, 2 $45 ones, and a $50 one. I believe that is the same blender on The Iron Chef America program. The way I love mine I can understand why it’s there. That thing has survived more daiquiris than the other 5 combined.


I was actually gone to talk about another obsession, but it’s close to time for bed. I’ll try to finish that one up tomorrow.


3 Comments:

  • When I was a small child, before I was wise in the ways of eBay and/or home repair, my mother baked an assortment of Christmas cookies and cakes using a c. 1967 Kitchenaid stand mixer. What a wondrous device that was, and I loved it. I'd love to have it, now, though I've discovered that I've no talent whatsoever for baking although I do make better vegetables than most restauteurs.
    Anyhow, it was when I was a small child and all that rot from before, that the Kitchenaid died, and was consigned to the rubbish heap, at least so far as I recall. It still may hide somewhere in the garage but I don't know. But I think that, when the motor burned out--almost 30 years on--we didn't try to replace it, and the great old Kitchenaid has passed on. What a shame. Even I, who can't bake anything more complex than sugared pecans, could be convinced to try a cake or two with that.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11/17/2005 8:49 PM  

  • You are now the new recipient of my envy. I have wanted a Kitchenaid ever since I was strange little girl who liked nothing better than to watch "The Frugal Gourmet" on PBS with my big sister. Now I'm a strange big girl and still want one, though Lord knows where I'd find the counterspace for it. As it is, I have a cheap-o handmixer with a slight problem -- no beaters. Unfortunately, I remember this about the same that realize I'm out of vanilla, some other spice, etc. and already have eggs and sugar in a bowl ...

    By Blogger Ayzair, at 11/18/2005 1:48 PM  

  • Ah yes I too watched the Frugal Gourmet, and I was shocked to hear about the whole sex scandal thing. I have to say that a good hand mixer is a requirement as well. I have an inexpensive hand mixer that I use for small amounts of material like fluffing a few egg whites or creaming a small amount of butter. Did you ever watch Graham Kerr? I liked him as well. And to cover the masculinity portion of the show I also watched This Old House and Shadetree Mechanic as well.

    By Blogger Lucky Bob, at 11/18/2005 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home