Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Theatre in the town

This weekend I went home to Union for a Sunday afternoon. Boogaloo Broadcasting was performing their Christmas program. For those of you that don’t know Boogaloo produces folk life plays based on stories contributed by the citizens of Union county. They began productions in 2002 and have been producing new shows for summer and Christmas performances. You can see some of the initial reviews here and here. The production was recognized by the state legislature as the First Folk Life Play of South Carolina.


Anyway, I had to go see it because I like it and both of my parents performed in it. I’ve seen most of the productions, and I believe that they have gotten better since locals took over development and production. This year was String of Lights. The story mainly revolved around interactions of people helping people, a series of robberies, and redemption of an individual. It was an hour and a quarter production, but the summer shows usually last 3 hours with a 20 minute intermission. It’s interesting to watch the past of the place in which you grew up. Especially when you realize some of the audience recognize the stories.


They have DVD and VHS copies of the past performances on sale. I’m going to ask around and see if I can donate copies of the performances to the University Library System.

1 Comments:

  • The Strom Thurmond Collection at STI had rather an eclectic assortment of such things, as I recall from my heady days as a library courier. I'm sure they'd be interested.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11/15/2005 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home