Lately, No Donkeys

Sunday, November 06, 2005

This is a bloody big nutshell

Well I have indeed finished Steven Hawking’s The Universe in a Nutshell, and my list of books below reflects that. It’s not the first book of his I have read. The first was The Illustrated a Brief History of Time, which I highly recommend to anyone who likes this subject matter. I recommend the illustrated one, because the pictures help immensely with understanding. Read the rest of my rambling about the book.

Steven Hawking’s books are some of the best on theoretical physics I’ve ever read. TUiaN is actually written for the average person to be able to understand. I would say that anyone that graduated with a C or better in high school should be able to get 90% of what the book covers. TIaBHoT is a bit more in depth and requires someone who likes the subject a little more.


Unlike the previous book, the chapters in this one are set up so that they don’t have to be read in order. Therefore someone can read about the parts they want and skip some of the others. It’s also a very fast read. If you can handle the information load a moderate reader could finish it in a day.


If you like reading about this stuff I recommend The Universe in a Nutshell as a good place to start. If you like it, then you may also like The Illustrated A Brief History of Time. But don’t tike my word for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home