Lately, No Donkeys

Monday, September 26, 2005

For Gawd’s sake get me to the church on time.

In my search to find something to do this weekend I forced myself to go to a movie on Sunday. I was going to go with some friends, but that fell through at the last minute. I decided to go see Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride. I always wonder about people that have to put their name in the title. I chose the title for this post because the movie is about marriage, it is a musical, and I really like My Fair Lady. If you don’t like musicals or My Fair Lady then I don’t really care. And now on with the ramble.

The movie had gotten good reviews on RT, and it is directed by Tim Burton. I like a lot of the stuff Burton does, but for some reason his stuff seems to come out better when he goes farther off the Hollywood normality radar. This seemed like one of those instances.


This movie has similar animation looks to The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. Most of the characters are either stick figury or fat with loots of very round bodies. All have very large eyes and an almost claymation look. It always reminds me of the old stop motion Rudolph, which I guess is the point. If you look closely you will be able to see a nod to the master of stop motion animation: check out the manufacturer’s name on the piano.


I have to agree with the reviews given the movie. I really enjoyed myself. It has enough humor and still builds the story around some very human events. It almost reminds me of a mixture of the old fairy tales with hard lessons learned, while still maintaining a (Oooo can’t say for spoiler reasons. He he.).


I recommend everyone, and I do mean everyone. I figure a small percentage of the population won’t like it, and they are usually the ones that like to complain about everything anyway. I might as well give them some more ammunition. The thing it PG, and the kiddies should adore it. It also has enough adult humor and story to keep parents interested.


I say it’s worth the full price ticket. If you have children, prepare to buy the DVD when it comes out. Although, I might buy it anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home