Lately, No Donkeys

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Destiny’s bastard son

You know I expend a little time thinking about these titles and try to come up with something interesting and non-repeating. I had to think a little longer about this one, because I had already used, “There’s a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.” That’s actually funny, because I used it for a book by the same author. I also thought of “No good deed,” “Some seek greatness and some have it fall on them. Repeatedly. And point down at that,” and “Cynical to a virtue.” If you haven’t seen already I just finished Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David. How about I tell you a little about Apropos’ rambling tale?


The book is written as if being recalled by our main character. His name is Apropos, and believe me, it is. Apropos is the bastard son of a disowned barmaid who became pregnant as the result of being gang raped by a band of the good King’s knights. Isn’t that lovely. She turned to the life of a part time whore to provide extra money for Apropos, and his so called destiny that she kept beating into his ears. He learned to despise that word. Oh did I mention he has a disfigured right leg that is practically useless? I can’t imagine how he could end up being cynical and distrustful of everyone. Or why he would only care about looking out for number one. And believe me it doesn’t really get any better.


The thing is Apropos does have a destiny as much as he hates that word, otherwise this would be someone else’s story. Now as it happens he isn’t drawn towards his future as if on a chariot. Destiny basically kicked him in the ass to keep him going the right way. He is truly one of the most realistic and multifaceted characters I have read in a while. And he ends up showing you all the layers of filth and depravity that exist behind the facades of everyone else in the story. The question is “Is he destined for something great, something disastrous, or to merely be an also ran?” I’ll let you read the book to find out. That is unless you want copy the text below to rot13 and read possible spoilers.


Gur erny dhrfgvba gung gur obbx frrzf gb cbfr vf Jung vf n ureb? Vf n ureb n Xavtug jub tbrf bhg sbe gur checbfr bs tnvavat snzr, evpurf, naq cbjre haqre gur thvfr bs jnagvat gb qb tbbq? Be vf vg zber yvxr gur thl jub unf ab ernfba gb gehfg, ubabe, be nffvfg nalbar, ohg znantrf gb guvax bs n frysvfu ernfba gb qb gur evtug guvat? Vf vg orggre gb guvax lbh npgvbaf aboyre guna gurl ner, be vf vg orggre gb guvax lbhe aboyr npgvba frys-freivat naq onfr? Guvax onpx nobhg gur punenpgref naq ubj abar ner nf tbbq be onq nf gurl cbegenl gurzfryirf gb or.


The more I read of Peter David’s work the more I like it. It’s enjoyable to read and it has some smart ideas in it. It’s amazing how much you root for Apropos in this book. How does he create a character like that? I guess part of it is that he makes Apropos completely and unabashedly honest with the reader. When Apropos tells you his thinking, you completely understand him and identify. It’s great. I can hardly wait to read the next 2 in the series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home