Lately, No Donkeys

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Equitability

Not much going on this weekend, except family and myself searching for a possible house to purchase. I’ve been told by friends that I have to stay in Clemson, but the way things look that means having to start a “Keep Me in Clemson” fund. The housing market here is outrageous, so liberty might be as close as I can get. But this post is way to short. Let me ramble about some other things of interest.


Ars has a little piece up about AT&T saying they support network neutrality. The thing is how can you have premium bandwidth services without that service degrading standard service? The only way you can do it is by running that service through its own separate conduit and have that be self supporting, cost wise. To use a highway analogy they want to put in HOV lanes for premium customers. That’s fine if they add lanes to the road for the premium customers, but I have a sneaking suspicion that all they are going to do is make some of the existing lanes HOV without adding as many new lanes as they should. That mans standard customers will be crammed into fewer lanes and service will be degraded without directly attacking it. Sneaky. It’s like saying you didn’t touch the water coming out of the shower. You only flushed the toilet. The shower turning scalding was a side effect.


Ars has an article up about the Cato Insitute has released a report(pdf) about the serious side effects of the DMCA and some examples of why it is so wrong. I haven’t read the entire report, because I have been rather busy this weekend with house hunting and being out of town. I’ll probably kill a tree Monday and print the thing. I can read much faster on paper than on computer screen. I hope some of the tablet and digital ink technology might help with that in the near future.


Dell is selling $10,000 gaming computers. That is probably why they bought Alienware. That’s also more than my truck cost. Spend a third of that and start buying a house instead. And get a haircut too. Damn hippies and geeks.


How much does it cost to sniff the cork? I wonder if it lingers on the palate. How did she crush the grapes? Is it full bodied? I suppose it has to be at least 18 years. Feel free to make up your own. It’s quite fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home