Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Holiday Fun

I use that term both exactly and somewhat loosely.

Well I went to my hometown for the holidays. I got to take presents and receive presents. Over the past 3 years I have gotten to the point that I like the giving more than the receiving. However taken over time, I like the using of the received even more than the giving. I just wish my current budgetary constraints allowed more of the giving. I’ll probably ramble on about it for a while.


My brother brought his Jack Russell, Roxy, home with him, and my sister brought her new Beagle, Max(imillion) as well. My parents had a new cat, Henry, and their other two dogs, Emily and Poe, were there. Their other cat, Josephine, dislikes the company of people too much to be bothered with associating, unless food is involved. As you can tell the menagerie caused quite a bit of fun and entertainment. I even acquired some pictures. Click on the picture for a larger image.


This is a picture of Poe (named after Edgar Allan Poe). I believe he is the oldest currently. He appeared on our front porch one day as a puppy. We assume he was left there, because he was scared to go up or down the steps. He was in awful condition, hungry, cold, scared, mangy, and just all around sickly. He looks big, but he’s mostly hair really skittish about new people. He doesn’t let anyone he doesn’t know get closer than 10 feet. He likes to have someone he trusts constantly touching his head, and he sits patiently while filling his food dish. Recently he has taken up playing with a couple of stray cats and then killing them. We hope by accident. He leaves our cats alone though. We have been speculating on his selectivity.


This is Emily (named after Emily Dickenson). She came from a litter our neighbor’s dog had. Near as we can tell she is a mix of English Springer Spaniel (mom) and Chow mix (dad). We saw the supposed dad and he seemed mostly if not all Chow. Don’t ask me how she came to look the way she does. She has the purple/black spots on her tongue from the Chow though. Emily is a big dog. Below is a picture of her with my 6’1” brother. Near as we can tell she tops 100 lbs easy, and almost none of it is fat. I understand that you should be able to feel the outline of a dog’s ribs, but Emily’s are covered in a layer of dense muscle. Given her calm demeanor, very submissive behavior, and great strength, I think she would have made an excellent service dog. Generally she walks up, raises a paw in a kind of wave, leans against your log while you scratch her head, and slowly rolls onto her back for a belly rub. (See picture below.)



This is a picture of Henry (mom hasn’t decided if it is for Longfellow or Thoreau). My bother brought him to my parents when he was a skinny, tiny thing. They have been keeping him in the house to get him used to staying there, but I think he is getting a little too used to being in the house. At least he is very fond of people though.


My brother brought his Jack Russell Roxy earlier in the week. She didn’t care for the hat too much. She’s a sweet dog. She knows how to sit, lay down, and sit up, but she has way too much energy.

My sister brought her new Beagle puppy Max. He was only 7 weeks old. I think he found his bark while he was at the house too.


Emily and Poe live in the back yard together, and run around together all the time.


Roxy and Henry developed a strange relationship during the two weeks Roxy would play with Henry until he was worn out. Henry would take a nap and start stalking Roxy when he woke up.


After Max arrived Roxy would play with him, while Henry was asleep. Roxy would wear him out as well.


When Max went outside, Poe showed his true fearless nature by backpedaling from the vicious puppy.


Poe successfully distracted Roxy long enough for Max to get a good play leg bite in.


Anyway, after Christmas at home I went to Atlanta to help out a friend. I spent 3 days doing electrical wiring, a little carpentry, and hanging sheetrock on the ceiling in two rooms. All on about 15 hours sleep over the 3 days. Oh and I also drank a six pack of hard cider and half a bottle of Canadian Club Classic 12, neat. It helped with the soreness.


I watched a couple of movies over break as well. I’ll try to get some reviews up shortly.


Then I came home and slept before work the next day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home