Lately, No Donkeys

Monday, August 22, 2005

She needs some Visine

I thought I would give a little review. I broke down and went to see a movie yesterday. I wasn’t sure what I was going to see, until I got to Anderson. It was just one of those times I needed to get out of the house to do something. Anyway I ended up seeing Red Eye. The movie had received good reviews on RT so I thought I would give it a shot. If you want to hear about it follow my rambling. I’ll try to avoid spoilers, but no promises.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the movie. It is directed by Wes Craven, and it definitely has some of that feel to it. Some of you may recognize Rachel McAdams from Wedding Crashers, Mean Girls, The Notebook, and The Hot Chick. I like the brunette look she has in this one. You may also recognize Cillian Murphy as the creepy rendition of an early Scarecrow from Batman Begins. He makes good use of that creepiness and those piercing blue eyes in this one.


The movie starts out letting you know something is wrong, but it doesn’t let on exactly what. The first 2/3rd of the movie is a suspenseful, personally frightening, and makes you feel claustrophobic and exposed all at the same time. There were parts that made me think, “How the hell am I gonna get out of this?” Then the last third gives you that Wes Craven running against the clock action and think fast sequence.


It’s mainly a two actor film, which I love. The interaction is great. The disbelief of McAdams at the revelation of the true intentions of Murphy’s character is excellent. The cool and nonchalant way Murphy talks about reality of his job, as though he coordinated projects for companies, is mesmerizing but believable. And McAdams’ character isn’t stupid or bumbling. In fact I admired the character’s ability to pull it back together and act when necessary. I watched her act several seconds later on thoughts I had about courses of action, and thought, “Yes. Yes. It might not work but you have to try.” There was even one instance when she managed to acquire a pen. I began to run the possibilities of the pen and a note. Then I thought, “Or she could do this.” Not 8 seconds later she did it, and I almost exclaimed, “Yeah take that you sonnofa bitch.” I only saw one trip up coming that should have been avoidable, but I’ve actually seen people do that while not being chased. I forgave it.


Anyway, I really liked the movie. I wouldn’t say it’s a great movie, but it’s definitely good. I would recommend it for a matinee or a rental. I just don’t see the need to pay full price for it though, unless you can’t make any other time. Man I love heroes and heroines that make smart choices using average abilities.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home