Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

One more won’t hurt

Ok so apparently I am a recovering consumer whore. I say recovering, because I stay fairly clean, but I do have lapses. I bring this up because I bought things in Boston and then I bought things in Anderson when I got back.


First of all I bought a t-shirt when I went to see the USS Constitution. That’s one big honkin’ wooden vessel. I also got a Zippo lighter with the Constitution on it. Lighters are small and don’t break when you have to carry them around all day. I bought Sam’s Bartender Guide at Cheers. It has something like 2600 recipes in it, and it won’t break either. As you can see glasses were out of the question. While at The Old State House I broke down and bought two books. One was The Federalist and the other a biography of Benjamin Franklin. I bought them because they were pretty good prices and it helps support the museum. I like supporting museums.


Then when I got home I went to Anderson and walked into Books-a-Jillion or whatever it’s named. I have to fight purchase urges every time I go into book stores, electronics stores, and similar places. This time I lost the fight. I’ve had fun reading books from Peter David recently, and I saw all three books from a series I have had my eye on. I therefore admit that I purchased Sir Apropos of Nothing, Sir Apropos of Nothing, Book Two: The Woad to Wuin, and Sir Apropos of Nothing, Book Three: Tong Lashing. We’ll see if I misstepped in getting all three at once.

Right now I’m about 1/3 of the way through my Harry Turtledove book, and it looks like I’m going to start collecting more of his books as well. Oooo. Birthday and Christmas presents.

3 Comments:

  • Books-A-Zillion is an evil, evil store for all its tempting books. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've left their bookstore without buying a book.

    You'll have to let me know what you think of your new Turtledove book. I enjoyed Two Georges and Guns of the South, as well as his alternate World War I series with the Confederate States. But I never really got into his alternate Shakespeare novel.

    By Blogger scanime, at 8/04/2005 8:52 AM  

  • I know you didn't mention it in the post, but I see you're reading Founding Brothers. I hope you're enjoying it. It's a great read.

    And I wholeheartedly concur about Books 'n Things, Barney Noble's, and the other similar stores and their wicked, wicked ways. God bless them.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/04/2005 8:11 PM  

  • I actually meant to mention that. I took 3 books because I wasn't sure what mood I would be in. With all the history in Boston I chose to start Sentry Peak first. I'm halfway through it, and plan on starting Founding Brothers next.

    By Blogger Lucky Bob, at 8/04/2005 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home