Lately, No Donkeys

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Learning of the Green

As you may have noticed by the lower part of the right hand column, I have finished (Much to my surprise at the speed.) yet another work. How the Irish Saved Civilization: … by Thomas Cahill actually turned out to be a surprisingly easy and compelling read, hence the speed of finishing it. My mother’s family is of Irish decent, and I had heard good things about this book from a relative.


Follow on to the rest of my ramble if you want my opinion of the book.



As I have said I was surprised at how compelling and easy a read the book was. There was some language I had to think about, but the biggest hurdle was pronouncing the Irish names. Luckily the book has a small pronunciation guide in the back for just such emergencies.


I say that the title is a bit of a misnomer. The book covers the time from the beginning of the fall of the Western Roman Empire up through the Middle ages of Europe, therefore it is a Eurocentric book. Truthfully civilization was not in danger of becoming extinct. There were formidable civilizations all around the world, and the vestiges of Roman civilization were visible in Europe and something similar would have arisen again. Really the book is about how the Irish saved European civilization as we know it.


The book covers a time in history that is seldom examined in a work. Usually the Roman Empire is discussed, or the Middle Ages are discussed, but the transition usually falls between books, chapters, or is glossed over as “just something that happened.” The first part of the book discusses the state of decay of the Roman Empire in the 4th and 5th centuries. The second part covers the state of the Irish people, folklore, and religion before St. Patrick came to Ireland, the peaceful conversion of the people to Catholicism, and the devouring and copying of texts from all over Europe. Finally, the book talks about the state of Europe as the Irish Monks set out to spread classical manuscripts, gospels, Christian teachings, and literacy back across the ravaged European continent.


The story the book tells is awe inspiring in its scope and the extremely short time frame it covers. I have never read a book that covered this period in history. I always wondered why so many of the images of great gospels and manuscripts from the Middle ages contained such obvious Celtic influence in their flamboyant adornment. It’s because most of them were copied by Irish or Irish taught scribes and monks.


One of the things that makes the book a joy and interesting is that it is told by means of examining and following the literature of the day, because that is truly what was saved by the Irish. Cahill almost rejoices and sings the praises of all the people that helped save much of the writings of Rome, during a time when only Christian writings were to be copied and studied. His love of the subject and the Irish people come through so much, that I was often left wondering if he was attributing too much to the Irish. However, I cannot point to anything that is an obvious falsehood.


As you can tell I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys history, literature, or religion studies. I have to say that the book taught me something as well. I have always found myself to be different, strange or weird in my thoughts, actions, logic, point of view, thirst for knowledge of all types, distrust of elitist experts, and ability to find humor in any situation, and I never knew where it came from or why I felt different. After reading this book I know why. With the exception of the outbursts of emotion, I’m friggin’ Irish. And you know, I couldn’t be happier.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home