Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

And this little piggy went to the IT department.

Ars Technica has a news item up about an eWeek article. It appears that Piggly Wiggly is rolling out a biometric payment system. The only thing you need for a purchase is money in the bank and your finger. With all the recent problems of database and information security they are creating a database of fingerprint information that will bill accounts automatically. One can only hope that they will be better about securing that information than other groups. I have to admit though that relieving myself of one more thing to remember is mighty tempting, especially those damned store loyalty/ information tracking cards. I personally would like my credit card to require my fingerprint and a passcode as well.

From the NYT it looks like Piggly Wiggly may be seeing another new technology (free subscription required) that I endorse. For all of you tired of those little stickers on all your fruit, (It’s not so much the stickers as it is the bad stickers that never want to come off.) They are now using laser etching to emblazon the fruit codes directly onto the skin of the fruit. No peeling, no residue, and no trash. There is even talk of putting bar codes directly onto some of the larger fruit. I’m waiting for the advertisements and logos to start appearing. It’s only a matter of time, but in the short term, here’s to having a peach or apple without using adhesive remover first.






2 Comments:

  • Hmm. Bar codes on a cantaloupe? Well, I'm growing my own on the porch now so I guess it doesn't matter.

    The possible side effect of this is that still-lifes of bowls of fruit will be forever changed, since we can't count on the laser operator to ensure that the code never goes on the fruit's best side.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/19/2005 6:44 PM  

  • I would also like them to put a date of harvest on some of the fruit and vegetables, maybe place of harvest. Imagine being able to track a piece of fruit through the distribution chain the same way they can track a canned good. I figure soon they will start tracking meat with RFID, from hoof to plate, for similar purposes.

    As for the still-lifes, the artist may be able to work around it or use Photoshop. You do what you have to.

    By Blogger Lucky Bob, at 7/19/2005 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home