Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

No Mr Wayne. I expect you to die!

Yesterday evening I went to see Batman Begins. I must say I feel that the DC comics have been redeemed after the fiasco of the last movies.


I think that Christian Bale did an excellent job as Batman and by the end of the movie he seemed to be indicating that Bruce had learned what his role was as well. Since it is a story of beginnings, the character doesn’t always feel like the character that you expect. That could be acting, writing or directing, but I chose to go with the fact that it is a time of transition and discovery of oneself. Bruce and Batman must create who they are to be, and they explore some things we don’t traditionally expect or want from Batman/Bruce.


Michael Caine threw me off for a little in his role as Alfred Pennyworth, the butler. However, I think he was starting to grow on me after a time. I think it was because they didn’t show the father or uncle-like relationship until later in the movie.


Katie Homes’ character seemed kind of tacked on without being integrated well. (But if you are going to have someone tacked on to you it might as well be her, although she still needs to eat more biscuits.) It felt as though her character wasn’t as emotionally integral as she should have been. I don’t know maybe it was just me.


I also wanted Bats to show some more concern for bystanders, but maybe that’s about learning. The fights were very disorienting, which is realistic and disappointing at the same time.


Anyway, I say it’s a definite see if you like comic book hero movies. I think it does DC Comics a good turn finally. I paid full price to see it and it was worth it. Definitely worth buying on DVD as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home