Lately, No Donkeys

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Lies, Damn Lies, and Textbooks

I take reading by spurts. I read web sites and other things daily, but I read books and such in batches. I’m thinking about working on improving that, because I keep buying books. Two years back I stopped reading much for about 12 months due to work. Then in 3 months I read 30+ magazines (Scientific American, Popular Science, Car and Driver, Road and Track, and others) plus 4 books. I must say that I had to take breaks several times while reading the Scientific Americans. They make the brain tired.


Anyway, I just finished a book I’ve had for a while, Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen. Like I’ve said before I tend to gravitate towards off center books, and it doesn’t really matter which side of center. Follow the link for some reviews. I love that most of the reviews fall far from the middle, most are 5s or 2s.


I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It’s not a difficult read, and he does a good job at getting his points across. Loewen covers 10 often misrepresented people or events that demonstrate a lacking in history education and critical thinking. He makes some very good points and is a good source of information and additional points of view. Like most of the off center books I’ve read a few grains of salt would be a recommended side dish for this book. I found myself disagreeing with some of the points and wondering about information and points of view he left out. That’s kind of funny, because omission of information and points of view are primarily what the book is about. Like all studies of history, something ends up being missing. When reading one must remember a point Loewen makes in the 11th chapter. He says that all portrayals and discussions of history are intrinsically biased. Therefore this work is not immune to that. For those that like critical views of history and education I recommend reading the book.


But don’t take my word for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home