Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

First Runner Up

I didn’t feel like mentioning this earlier, but I will do so now for the sake of closure.


The afternoon of Friday the 10th I was told that I did not get the job for which I applied, but that it was very close. I take about as much comfort in that as you might expect, little to none. They decided to go with someone from North Carolina that has been doing a similar job for a few years at a much smaller school. Basically the same thing that happened the last two times when they hired someone for the job. He seems like a nice guy, and maybe he will stay longer than 24 months. I hope that the decision works out, but I always expect troubles given the other people that work there.


I got my debriefing or flak hit that afternoon. I think I surprised my boss when I told him I had known for a week already. It’s fairly easy to pick up on clues in the way people look, or more correctly, don’t look at you. He went on about not wanting me to feel discouraged about the outcome and the possibility of advancement. Can’t imagine why he might think I would feel that way. He also said it wasn’t a reflection on me, just the pool that applied for the job. You know, the usual make me feel better by throwing crocodile tears at you bullshit. He even mentioned that he got this new position as my boss 5 months ago and he hasn’t gotten a raise yet. I almost told him good luck since I had been promised one for over 2 ½ years. Then he blew some more smoke about trying to add some duties to me that would allow him to rewrite my job description to get the job reclassification. Not that my job duties haven’t increased two fold or more since I started this job. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I did mention to him that if I had gotten the job I was going to recommend they split my current position into two jobs. Currently I work in two locations that together require me to know more than any sane person could learn in 4 months.


Stay tuned for more fun on the job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home