Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

It’s popcorn and a movie time. It’s popcorn and a movie time. It’s…

So last week was busy. I had been meaning to go see several movies and the perfect storm seemed to form that allowed me to finally go. What follows is a ramble about each of the movies. I’ll tell you now they are, “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” “The Incredible Hulk,” “Kung Fu Panda,” and “Wanted.”


So first I’ll do IJatKotCS. Man that is a mouth full right there. I saw it first because I was afraid it might leave the theaters first. I don’t know what some people were complaining about. Most of the movie seemed on target for the time period portrayed. I mean as far as plot points. As for the reviewers and nay sayers. It’s a friggin Indiana Jones movie. Did you see Temple of Doom? I mean come on. This was exactly on par with the rest of the movies. It was full of humor, slapstick, improbabilities, and sheer dumb luck. I thought it was nice and I enjoyed it. Frankly I don’t know what you were expecting. If you like the other IJ movies you should like this one, unless you are complete twit.

Now Hulk. You know I never understood why some people bashed the last Hulk movie. It went out on a limb on a couple things, some of which I liked and some I didn’t. Some of the high emotion scenes were tough to swallow, but it was strange characters reacting in ways unfamiliar to them. Consequently I forgive a lot. This one was better, but it’s still a Hulk superhero, kinda, movie. There are parts that are corny, some of them are simply because Bruce Banner is corny. There are some touching moments between Bruce and Betty. The general is a real f&*%er for lack of a better term. I mean lots of the plot and dialog are telegraphed. There aren’t many surprises, but it’s still a nice, fun ,pretty good movie. Well I take that back. There is a good turn at the end, that I was still hoping for but not exactly expecting them to actually do. When you last see Bruce, remember something Betty suggested that Bruce dismissed outright. At least I hope that’s what it is.

What about KFP? Well. You know. That was just a good movie right there. I had no idea the cast they got for it. The voice acting was fantastic. I mean Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu, Ian McShane etc. I wasn’t expecting that cast, and I was well pleased by it. It’s a hoot and surprisingly has a decent moral lesson in it. I mean of course it does. It is a movie parent and child should both be able to enjoy immensely. This was easily the best of the 4 movies, and right now only Ironman beats it for the summer. I recommend everyone see this one.

Finally Wanted. This made me conflicted. Some of it is fast paced and almost blinding in speed. Some of it made me go “Yeah Kick his ass.” And some of it made me go, “Did a 10th grader write and direct this part?” I don’t know how it got better reviews than Hulk. It was entertaining, but it wasn’t much more than decent. Though the effects are pretty sweet.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I really, really liked Kung Fu Panda! I thought the fight scenes were great! And my daughter actually wasn't that scared. Big points!

    By Blogger Ayzair, at 7/06/2008 7:49 PM  

  • Excellent. They should take that as high praise indeed. Go see it the rest of you slackers.

    By Blogger Lucky Bob, at 7/06/2008 8:00 PM  

  • It was a very fun movie- got lost on the way to the theater (who puts a theater BEHIND a Barnes and Nobles and down in the back corner? Especially when the dang sign is proudly out front, like, a mile away!)

    ANYWAYS. It was a fun movie. Was going to see Wall-E, but was delayed due to poor mall planning. Very fast paced, very amusing, had me giggling. I love Jack Black. The turtle rocked too.

    By Blogger Rambling Speech, at 7/06/2008 9:07 PM  

  • We finally saw Kung Fu Panda this weekend. It was great! If not for WALL-E it would be a shoo-in for Best Animated Picture this year. As it is I would argue that it may be Dreamworks Animation's finest picture to date.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/13/2008 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home