Lately, No Donkeys

Thursday, October 12, 2006

That’s right Rebo

There’s a line in the episode “Day of the Dead” from Babylon 5 that Rebo, of Rebo and Zooty fame, delivers. I can’t remember the exact quote, but Rebo and Zooty are a fantastically popular comedy team, and they are thinking of getting out of the business and going into politics. When asked why Rebo explains that they didn’t make a difference, and they had wanted to help during a time the Earth President had declared martial law and disbanded or killed most of the Senate. One of the show’s main characters said that they had made a difference in helping give people strength to carry on. Plus he said they had said things on their show that no one else could say for fear of retaliation from the President. Rebo said that no one paid any attention to them. They said that comedians say serious things in a funny way and everyone laughs it off, but politicians say funny things in a serious way and get support. Anyway, they convinced Rebo and Zooty to stay in comedy.


I thought of that because last week I read an article on Ars stating that a study indicated that “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” apparently has as much real news analysis on it as most of the “real” news shows on television. I have suspected as much, and I have to say, that’s sad. Oh it’s good for The Daily Show, but bad for other news shows. I will admit that I don’t watch the news much. I usually don’t because it only deals with sensational stuff. I really should start checking out some of the few programs that actually teach the audience about the topics that are being discussed. It’s time to get the TV Guide and check out PBS some more. I’m sure Smitty has some good recommendations. I also need to find a way to add more hours to the day or give up sleep. One or the other. But I’m probably going to watch the election coverage that The Daily Show offers again this year. It’s just funnier and I remember more of it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home