Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Flora Sale

This past Saturday I was taken off guard by something I had forgotten about until I saw a sign about it last week. It was time for the semi-annual sale at the SC Botanical Garden at Clemson. I have been to two Spring events, but last year I missed the Fall sale. Check out the page they had for the Fall sale. Follow me while I ramble down that path.


Previously I had purchased items for family as presents or requests. I like shopping there since it helps support the Garden and because of the things they have for sale. They usually have good quality plants in fairly large containers. None of that oversized tree in a small pot like some places. Plus they always carry unusual plants that you don’t find at most nurseries. Not to mention that but the horticulture students from Clemson work the sale. Most of them helped grow the plants and can offer extensive help on picking good plants for particular needs, planting tips, pruning tips, fertilization, and general plant care.

Well this year I had the opportunity to go to the sale for the first time to purchase things for me. Well I could have purchased stuff for me before, but this is the first time I have my own yard in which to plant them.


First I was looking for a tree to put in the front yard. I had a pine tree cut down nest to the driveway, because it had a lot of ice damage from last year, had pine beetles and was dying, and it was ugly (primarily from the effect of the previous two items). There is another tree about 25 – 30 feet from where the pine tree was. I’m not sure what it is, but I cut about 1/3 of the branches out because they were dead. Now more appear to be dead. I think it’s suffering from the ice damage it received as well and will have to come down. That will leave a 40-50 ft hole between the driveway and the Post Oak farther down the ditch by the road. Some idiot ran into the Post Oak several years back and ripped the bark off one side, but it’s alive and slowly healing. I hope it makes it because I love Post Oaks. My Parents had one at the end of the driveway, and looking at the typical figures on Wiki it was a big one ( 4+ ft diameter and 50+ ft tall with leaves 15” by 6”). To me it typifies a “real” oak, huge leathery leaves that make deep loose piles on the ground, huge acorns, and slow growing. Anyway, that hole heeded to be filled and I have enough oaks on the lot, the Post Oak being the crown jewel. I wanted something different. They had a very nice selection of magnolias at the garden, and several other shrubbier trees. I finally decided on a Acer truncatum Maple tree. There are several varieties, and I think mine is either Shantung Maple or Painted Maple. It’s supposed to turn brilliant yellow and orange to red in the Fall. I’ll have to wait t few years to make sure. I should be able to keep the lower branches high enough not to block the view, but the color show in fall should light up the yard as you come down the road. I may get one of the magnolias or a beech for the side yard later. Of course I want to add a coupe of fruit trees as well. Slow and steady.


As for the other plants, I purchased a Camellia Japonica ‘Grace Albritton’ for use under some of the trees in the back yard and behind a split rail fence. It will have plenty of space to do whatever it wants. I sincerely hope it has the chance to reach its full 10’ -15’ height and 5’ – 10’ width. This particular variety is supposed to have light colored spots variegating the leaves and white, pink, and red variegated double blossoms.


I bought several perennial flowering plants as well. I picked up two Coreopsis ‘Limerock Ruby’ or Red Tickseed for the driveway. I also picked up two Gazania ‘Colorado Gold’ that I planted by the driveway as well. By the walkway to the back yard I planted two Ajuga ‘Chocolate Chip.’ It should provide a great ground cover for the fairly moist shady area. I love the dark foliage and blue flowers.


Finally I did something I hadn’t intended. I bought three ferns to plant near the wooded area in the back yard. First I got a Dryopteris marginalis or Eastern Wood Fern to be a standard fern. Then I picked out an Osmunda cinnamomea or Cinnamon Fern that has colored reproductive fronds in the spring. Finally I bought an Athyrium Angustum forma rubellum or Lady in Red Fern (pic). I hope they live. I planted them near the woods in the shade where the ground slopes toward them. I may have to mulch the area more to keep the ground from drying out.


I’m looking forward to getting more stuff in the spring.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • I'm surprised you didn't pick up a sourwood tree; they're pretty in the fall. But then I'm not sure how much room you have for new trees. Actually I'm really looking forward to dropping by to see what you've done with the place.

    However, if they have them next Spring, you really must pick up a Harry Lodder's Walking Stick. We had one of those in Michigan; what a fascinating plant. My parents would have bought three if they'd been to the sale. I probably would try to keep one in a pot on my porch.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/13/2006 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home