Lately, No Donkeys

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

To Err is Human, Just not Desired

For my Industrial Engineering System Design, which is mercifully coming to a close, I had to buy two books. The first and most expensive I already reviewed. The second much less expensive book was Set Phasers on Stun: & Other True Tales of Design, Technology, & Human Error by Steven M. Casey. Yeah it’s a long name. This book is a collection of 20 stories told by Casey. He uses them to demonstrate disastrous interactions between humans and design choices. Each story offers a different example of how easily a seeming innocuous design choice can cause reactions and outcomes that are completely unintended. The book is well written and Casey makes the stories entertaining without being too long. It’s a good reads for any engineer, and most people that would like to understand why testing and iteration of designs are so important. Throwing technology at a problem doesn’t work unless the technology is used judiciously with the user in mind. It makes a good case for why Industrial Engineering is important.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Ah yes, the rule of unintended consequences. This is something my father has tried to beat through my head for almost three decades. I think it's finally getting through. I couldn't tell you the first thing about it in industrial design, but I can tell you I've learned to consider "how easily a seeming innocuous language choice can cause reactions and outcomes that are completely unintended." A good lesson no matter what the outcome.

    Hope all is well and that you're enjoying your cozy home. One day we're going to actually get by to see it. Take care.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/10/2006 8:41 AM  

  • err... "no what what the context."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/10/2006 8:42 AM  

  • Crap. I give up. You know what I'm trying to say.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/10/2006 8:43 AM  

  • That cracked me up, whether it was intentional or not.

    By Blogger Lucky Bob, at 12/10/2006 10:37 AM  

  • Dramatic irony is awesome.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/11/2006 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home