Lately, No Donkeys

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Big money, Big money, No Whammies, No Whammies, Stop!!

I've been in my current job for almost 4 years, and during those 4 years the job duties, responsibilities, and knowledge requirements have grown far beyond the initial levels. Consequently, for 2 1/2 of those years I have been promised a job reclassification to a higher salary. And it has all come to nothing.

So about 2 weeks ago I applied for a job position that came open in the same department in which I currently work, but I'm not holding my breath about it. For some reason my department has a history of hiring from outside rather than from within. Yes you work with this person already and you know their shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, but what in the world makes you think this new person will be free of those. I've watched skilled people, familiar with the organization and structure of the department, get overlooked for someone that looked marginally better on paper. Then they turn out to know less than they appeared to, and they have to go through training for weeks or months. I interviewed for another job a year ago to accentuate my point about a job reclassification. I made sure to express my intent to stay with the department long term. The person they hired left after 8 months. Someone else left after a little more than a year. Good job hiring people. Nice work.

I must admit that I am slightly more optimistic about this one though. I have heard from several people that my new boss (We were reorganized a few months back.) has me at the top of the list. It seems they may realize I am one of the few people who can put up with the main reasons the last 2 people left. That would be the two other people that work in that area. I suppose the best description would be irritating, and for several thousand more a year I can handle them. And if the salary change doesn't meet my requirements, then I can stay where I am. I do love working for the state.

So for now I sit and wait.


And that fulfills the angsty post requirement. I'll try to move on to something else next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home